What does an accountant do?
The Accountant creates and updates all the accounting operations of his company on a regular basis and prepares the closing of the annual accounts. The Accountant is mainly active in VSEs, which makes him very versatile.
The Accountant is also known as the General Accountant or AZ Accountant.
What are the responsibilities of an Accountant?
The Accountant's duties are varied due to the small structure of the company.
He collects and analyses all documents related to the company's economic and accounting activity:
- Accounts payable/Accounts receivable
- Bank accounts
- Inventory management
- Cash position
- Capital assets
in order to prepare the financial documents (annual balance sheet, income statement, tax return, operating income, etc.).
Depending on the structure of the company where he works, the Accountant may be responsible for payroll and sales management.
What are the required skills and proficiencies for an Accountant?
- Mastery of accounting standards (IAS/IFRS, UK-US GAAP)
- Perfect knowledge of accounting tools (SAP, Oracle, JD Edwards, etc.)
- Perfect knowledge of the company
- Good knowledge of IT tools (MS Office, MS Dynamics)
- Good knowledge of tax, legal and social standards
- Good analytical and synthesis skills
- Fluency in Dutch and French is strongly recommended
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good stress resistance
What background is needed to become an Accountant?
An Accountant has generally obtained a Bachelor's degree in accounting (including management or tax courses).
However, other paths are possible provided that you have followed a specialization in accounting and management (e.g.: CBCEC - Belgian Chamber of Accountants). This position is available to young graduates provided that they have completed internships or training courses or even a work-study program.
What are the career prospects for an Accountant?
An Accountant may advance to a Chief Accountant position, then according to his ambitions, experience and initial training towards a position as Accounting Director or Administrative and Financial Director.